Saturday, February 16, 2008

A special friend...

I’ve already introduced you to my two fur-babies (the Beagle and the Shepard)… Now, I’d like to introduce you to another dog that was very special to me.

This is Buffy… or McBuff as affectionately nicknamed by my grandmother. Buffy was a collie and we got him as a puppy when I was just 5 years old… He lived his life between my house and my grandparent’s house. Buffy was such a good dog… obedient, loyal and loving. We kept him until I was probably about 8 or 9 and then he went to live with my grandparents in upstate NY where he thrived… land to run around in… grass to roll around in… he was a very happy camper! Since I spent most of my childhood between my house and my grandparent’s house, I still got to spend so much time with him.

Now, my grandmother also had a few cats during Buffy’s lifetime and say what you will about ‘cats and dogs’, I really believe that they had a friendship. For instance, the cats would go outside and roam around. If they weren’t back within a reasonable amount of “doggie” time, Buffy would whine at the door to go outside… and he would go look for the cat. I can remember one time watching both of them walking up the driveway to the door… the cat in front… Buffy behind the cat, grunting and moaning, as if he was yelling at the cat for making him go look for her! That pattern continued for years…

I also taught Buffy to “smile” (which is a snarl)… but, he did it on cue to the song “A coke and a smile” (remember that commercial?!). It was hysterical and I know that he hated doing it… which I think made it more comical!

Sadly, Buffy crossed over the Rainbow Bridge when I was 17. He hadn’t been doing too well several weeks prior to my 17th birthday. I was spending my birthday and that week at my grandparent’s. I didn’t even know he was having a tough time because you would not have thought that had you seen him that week… full of life and love! My grandparents were even shocked. But, on the day I left after I gave Buffy hugs and kiss, said good-bye, waved to my grandmother and Buffy as we drove down the driveway and turned onto that old country road, Buffy went into the bedroom, curled up on his favorite rug at the foot of my grandparent’s bed and peacefully passed away.

When I got home, my mom told me the news… I believe that he waited for me… because of our bond and 12-year friendship... he waited one last time to run through the grass with me, to get a belly rub, treats, hugs and kisses and… to smile for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful dog! My Dad and Stepmom had a Collie that was probably my favorite dog ever. They are the greatest friends~ Thanks for sharing your memory!
Cara