Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Let it snow... let it snow... let it snow!

I should you let you know right away that I like snow... more like, I LOVE snow! Give me a blizzard any day of the week and I'm happy.

We have about 9" out there... and that was between Monday and Tuesday (official recorded snow was 8.something inches) and we picked up about 1/2" more of the fluffy white stuff today... This photo is looking onto one side of my deck in the backyard...

I think my "snow obsession" developed during the time I spent Upstate NY... I can still remember the huge amounts of snow we would get and how much fun I had outside in the snow...

My grandparents lived in NY and I spent lots of time at their house... summers, school vacations, etc. Their driveway was approximately 250 feet from the road and I can remember sledding and/or tobaggoning down that driveway or sledding in the horse coral on those round plastic thingies (I think they were flying saucers or something like that)... THAT was so much fun!! One side of the horse coral area had a slight downward incline... I would pack that area up with snow and water to get it nice and slick and fly down the small hill into the opening of the huge coral.

After being outside for hours on end,my grandmother always had a cup of hot chocolate waiting for me... with marshmallows... when I came inside. I can remember the warmth from the fireplace as I rubbed my hands together in front of the fire to warm them up.

I guess that's why I always have liked snow...it's calming, it makes me smile and it reminds me of happy times and it's really the only time I drink hot chocolate!

No comments: