Monday, January 7, 2008

Let's talk turkey... Errr... I mean... Ham!

When I lived in New Jersey, prior to moving to the mid-west, it never occurred to me that the entire United States of America, or the entire world, for that matter, did not revolve around the State of New Jersey... That something so simple, so delicious and such a part of a Jersey Girl's life could not and would not be found outside the borders of that State... How could this be??


Pork Roll (a.k.a. Taylor Ham) is unheard of out here... *Gasp*

Seriously, they (grocery store workers, waitresses, etc.) look at you funny if you even utter those 2 words... either combination of them! What is a Jersey Girl to do??? How is this possible??


For the past several years, in order to satisfy my Pork Roll/Taylor Ham craving... (Oh, yes, you just don't understand... This is a New Jersey staple... found in homes, schools, restaurants, diners, and probably in every grocery store of that wonderful Garden State)... I have had to resort to having my sister smuggle packages of this coveted pork product across the border of 3 different states...just so I can my fix a few times a year!

There is nothing like a Taylor Ham sandwich... with ketchup (yup... I said ketchup) on a hamburger bun.... or... or... a Taylor Ham, Egg & Cheese sandwich on a hard roll (again, with ketchup)... To me it's like a slice of Americana, and should be right up there with baseball, Mom's apple pie and 'going down the shore'...

You good people who have never heard of or tried this stuff, just do not know what you are missing!

Oh, and don't get me started on a 'light and sweet' coffee...

No comments: