Sunday, January 13, 2008

Mug Shot...

Time to meet the doggies!!

This is our beagle mix... I fell in love with this little guy online and we adopted him from a local rescue shelter when he was about 4 months old. As soon as I met him, I knew I had to take him home... He was so small and cute and cuddly. Now, 4 1/2 years later, he is much bigger and stubborn and grumpy... but I still love him as much today as I did when I first saw him. And, trust me... he definitely has certain traits and characteristics of a pure bred beagle... When I first heard that howl, I thought the sky was falling and ran for cover! He can also be as stubborn as the day is long and many times we've had "stare downs" where I swear you could hear the theme song from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly playing in the background! But, when you get right down to it, he's just a big beagle baby that loves to be cuddled and have his tummy rubbed.

So, the Beagle ruled the roost for the first 3 months after we adopted him... then came the Shepard! (*Cue theme song from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly*)

And this is our Shepard mix... We adopted her from the same rescue shelter as her "brother" when she was just about 8 weeks old. What a sweet little puppy she was (well, she still is sweet!) When we originally saw her, we were not in the "market" for another dog... we were actually at the local pet store, where adoptions are held, to pick up a few things for the Beagle, when my husband spotted a few puppies playing in a box.

Since we knew the people from the rescue, we stopped to chat and my husband picked her up... Once he did that, it was all over... I knew she would be coming home with us. If you can imagine the look on a grown man's face, holding a small cute puppy... and the look on that small, cute puppy's face being held by this grown, caring man... *sigh* My heart just melted.

So, for the first several months the Shepard was so small that she could walk right under the Beagle. She was a feisty little puppy too... she didn't take any crap from the Beagle. A few months later, the Beagle could walk under the Shepard! She has a very cute personality... she's full of energy and I honestly think that she could play with her ball 24/7. In November, the she celebrated her 4th birthday!

Since they were both so young when we adopted them, they have really bonded and act much like siblings and they were very similar to children...We went through teething, the "terrible two's", and those horrible, rebellious doggie "teenage" years! (and survived)

Here we are, more than 4 years later, and neither one of them can figure out who the dominant one is... it's pretty funny. I think they each "share" that role because some days, it seems as though the Beagle is and other days, the Shepard.

They each have their own sweet personality and the things they do make me laugh daily! They are very much a part of our family and have filled our lives with so much fun and love. (They paid me to say that)

No comments: